Problem with Ideal Isar HE30 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, here is my problem, and thanks to anyone in advance for ideas. BTW, please don't laugh while reading this.

So I was abroad, and my wife called complaining that the boiler was leaking water. Thinking that some connection got loose I told her to put a bucket or two to collect any drips and wait till I got back.

Got back and called the plumber to find out that the source of the water was in fact a disconnected rainwater downpipe feeding water into the flue... The boiler (an Ideal Isar HE30) was flooded internally with rainwater. We left it open for a few days, dried it out with a heated fan and then reassembled it. It worked fine for a day or two, and then just died.

Now all I get is a horizontal line on the LCD display, an error message not found in the boiler manual. The burner lamp is also constantly on but the burner, fan, pump make no noise at all. Neither the hot water nor the central heating will fire it up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Probabley damaged the PCB but dont worry it would probably have happened sooner rather than later even without being flooded with water.

Maybe worth calling out british gas as they do a fixed price i think of around £190 which when replacing a PCB isnt a bad price.

and they fit these boilers so should carry the parts in tha van

If you can get them to come out (very unlikely due to the amount of Isars's and Icos's going down under warranty :rolleyes: ) Ideal do a fixed price call out for £170 inc, this covers parts except a heat exchanger. last pcb I fitted to one of these cost customer around £300.

Have you tried the obvious and turned power off at the wall (not boiler) for 30 secs then turn on again. These pcb's are extremely prone to glitches at the best of time.

The other option is to purchase their extended warranty, wait thirty days and then call them out foc ;)

What ever you do I recommend the extended warranty to all my Ideal customers as these boilers are so unreliable :cry:

rob884 said:
Probabley damaged the PCB but dont worry it would probably have happened sooner rather than later even without being flooded with water.

Maybe worth calling out british gas as they do a fixed price i think of around £190 which when replacing a PCB isnt a bad price.

and they fit these boilers so should carry the parts in tha van

national price from bg is £144 not sure if this includes VAT or not tho !!

anyone with an ISAR should be on some kind of contract, one of the worst boilers about just now !!

Sponsored Links
I have a suspicion that the BG fixed price repair might only relate to faults generated within the boiler rather than as a result of being saturated by rainwater from outside.

Tony

The boiler is over 3y old now, so probably too late for extended warranty...

PCB was my top culprit, but what puzzles me is that the boiler worked fine for 48 hours after it was completely dry. And then it decided to pack in.

I will try and call their technical dept tomorrow, but has anyone come across this horizontal line error msg before?

Before you touch anything, i would say the pcb needs to be replaced like quoted on here a number of times. There is a design problem with them being in that black box .With your new pcb you get other parts like the ignition module and spark electriode..

can i just add, dont keep on turning the boiler on off to try to reset it at the boiler switch. The switch has a habit of nearly going on fire for some reason.. switch it off at the wall.....

gas4you said:
Have you tried the obvious and turned power off at the wall (not boiler) for 30 secs then turn on again. These pcb's are extremely prone to glitches at the best of time.

Do you mean for op to buy ignition module and spark eletrode as well, as all the pcb's I've fitted come on their own, all you get is the jumpers to tell it which boiler it is running on :confused:

Yes, tried that, didn't work...

You can buy their warranty at any time. Just call and ask them, don't mention any faults though :LOL:

Could be a faulty display unit, but usually I've found that the boiler works without this as this is only a digital signal.

Good luck with their tech help :rolleyes: Last time I called they told me to check for spiders and spiders webs :LOL:

Agile said:
I have a suspicion that the BG fixed price repair might only relate to faults generated within the boiler rather than as a result of being saturated by rainwater from outside.

Tony

it shouldnt matter. they will replace the pcb if thats whats required.

what they wont do it guarantee the work if it happens again for the same reason.

certainly sounds like the pcb is knackered. if you are at all handy i would be tempted to replace the pcb yourself......its easy enough. just make sure you dont mix up the two 4 pin connectors as that can blow the new board. also read carefully about the aforementioned jumper positions in the instructions that come with it.

Just for everyone's future reference according to Ideal's tech dpt a horizontal line is supposed to indicate either a PCB or User control fault. And that info ain't in the take home manual.

Will be buying a new PCB, and will let you guys know if replacing it fixes the problem.

when iv ordered the pcb for the ideal i get the other parts with it in the same box. (gas4you)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back