Problem with JCC light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been called to a job to have a look at some lights that have been recessed into a terrace.

http://www.luckinslive.com/data/5097/PDF/20121030-JCC_Cat_25_p253.pdf

There are 8 lights in total and at some point, before drainage was put in, the first two lights had filled with water. So now after the problem of them filling with water has been fixed i noticed that the choke had become damaged from the water and so decided to replace them for the exact same ones.

http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=10926

I also decided to change the lamps and lamp holders so everything electrical inside the light fitting was new. The lamps that are being used are the TC-D 26W G24d-3.

The problem i've not got is that when i connect them up to either the mains coming into the light or a plug top for testing purposes the lamp either doesn't come on at all, or will flicker as if its trying to start but never actually start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know have to go out for the day so excuse me if i don't reply immediatly. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tested the lamps on the bench before fitting them in the terrace ?

Do lamps that have worked on the bench then fail when installed in the terrace ?.

Even though the drainage has been added to remove liquid water residual or new damp may still be a problem.

Low energy lamps that produce little heat will not clear the damp, incandescent lamps while wasteful (?) of power do tend to keep the fitting free of damp.

Have you tested the lamps on the bench before fitting them in the terrace ?

Do lamps that have worked on the bench then fail when installed in the terrace ?.

Even though the drainage has been added to remove liquid water residual or new damp may still be a problem.

Low energy lamps that produce little heat will not clear the damp, incandescent lamps while wasteful (?) of power do tend to keep the fitting free of damp.

Thanks for the reply, have tried the lights on the bench before and they seem to be doing the same thing.

Sponsored Links
The thing that sticks out to me is that although your link to the BLT website appears to show the ballast is suitable for 28watts, the part number is for an 18watt ballast.

An 18watt ballast trying to fire a 26watt lamp is going to be problematic!!

The TC-D 26W G24d-3 is a 2 pin lamp, and so has an in-built starter for use with magnetic ballasts. The circuit should be incredibly simple - Live to ballast, ballast to lamp holder, lamp holder to Neutral.

A 4 pin lamp requires an external starter to fire if on a magnetic ballast, but not if used with a HF ballast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back