Problem with neighbours guttering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our guttering was replaced around 3 years ago with pvc but our neighbour still has wooden ones (where she has them at all!). On the roof where hers meets ours the end of hers is all brittle and leaks. Unfortunately due to the wind direction/ gravity/ position of house we get the water from the leak running down our babys bedroom wall and forming a puddle below against our dining room wall. We were flooded under the floor last June and are only months away from moving back in and this concerns me as I don't want damp walls again. She obviously has no intention of fixing it as she left her fence in our garden when it blew over last year (something else we will have to pay to replace) and hasn't done anything about the flood water under her floor. Is there any cheap way we can fix the join so that the water runs back into her rotten guttering and down her wall instead of ours?

I should just add that there is an end on our plastic guttering but nothing on her wooden one.

Sponsored Links
It's worth a try! I can't see what else we can do to be honest as it's her guttering not ours but it's damaging our property. Don't really wanna fall out by getting solicitors in but she doesn't seem to care about her property.

You could fix it for her, that may be the only realistic solution

Sponsored Links
You're probably right. It's just annoying that we have to pay for her front fence, back fence and now guttering replacing when we have things that need doing on our own home plus a toddler and new baby on the way. The surveyors have also told us that she would definately have floodwater under her floor and that it could seep through to us or cause damp in the future.

There should be something you can do about people like that. :mad:

I have similar neighbours on one side - Everything on their property is an eyesore and falling into rack and ruin. I've had to fix their fence ( forced to after years of it leaning right into my garden) but the bar stewards still had the audacity to moan at me when I pruned one of my trees which was near the boundary line ! I told them that what I was doing was on my property and fully compliant with all relevant building and planning regulations - And if they didn't like it Boo Hoo ! :mad: Miserable chavvy gits ! :mad: Too tight to spend a bit of money on maintenance and instead spend all their money on booze, fags and scratchcards ! . :mad:

You really need to get this sorted out. Damp is no joke, but dry rot (a real possibility) is a nightmare. Doesn't sound as if your neighbour will have insurance to cover this sort of thing so don't let it drift unless you want mushrooms growing out of the skirting board.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine and it took years to sort out. (Neighbour also attacked him with a hammer - hey-ho!)

Haven`t seen wooden gutters :oops: But could a plastic one lie inside the wooden one , so she doesn`t know.And your water runs inside and along out the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back