Adjoining gutter with neighbour.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour (semi detached house) got a local builder to replace her guttering. He connected the new guttering to my guttering (only 6 years old) correctly at the front, but didn't connect the guttering to mine at the back. The new guttering is about 1.5 inches below mine at the back of the house and has a 3 inch gap between our adjoining gutters.

The builders solution was to cap and seal each end of the gutters, but has still left a 3 inch gap. I am concerned that the water will now run off the roof tiles at this gap and cause dampness between me and my neighbour.

What should I do? Where do you think I stand legally?

Glad for any advice :(

Sponsored Links
IMO he should of connected the guttering at the back aswell, like you said it will in time cause damp. get them back out and demand they put it right.
IS there a down pipe near the stop end at the back, if he copyed the fall of the original then every thing would of matched up.

Speak to your neighbour, who paid the bill..How can you talk to the man. Well you can if you want to pay him.

Thanks for the reply guys! I wanted some info from people who knew what they were talking about before I spoke to my neighbour or confronted the builder. I suspect he should have started from each end and ran toward the down pipes. He didn't he started at the front and followed in a loop to the back and ended up 2-3 inches below the original run at my side.
Now that I have the correct method from you guys I will take him to task.
Thanks a lot!

Will post a response when I have a resolution to the problem. It is really my neighbour who can organise the remedial work, but if they don't we will both suffer from dampness.

Cowboys strike again!! :(

Sponsored Links
take some of your exceedingly good cakes to the neighbour as a peace offering :rolleyes: :LOL:

Good one Nige (though not the first time I have heard this)!!

I get on well with my neighbour and spoke to him todayhe is also unhapy with the finish and fully intends to get the builder to sort it as soon as.

I will keep you posted on the builder's strategy to fix his botched attempt.

I hope he does not take an EXCEEDINGLY long time to get his act together or I will be making roick cakes to throw at him lol.

Hi Guys,

I thought you might like to know the latest in this saga. The builder came back to my neighbour and linked the gap between the two gutters with an inverted "U shaped* piece of lead.
I told my neighbour that this may be acceptable when making a temporary repair to an old leaking gutter, but not as a solution to a poorly fitted brand new gutter. I told my neighbour not to pay him and get the gutter correctly connected to mine as it was before he botched the job.

Some of these so called builders are jacks of all trades and masters of none. In the old days every tradesman stuck to his own job.
They would have been better off getting a DIY man in and it would have saved them hundreds of pounds and they would have got a better job.

Any comments on this lead patching business- greatly appreciated.

cowboy01juneul5.gif

:LOL:

Your right Markie and wearing a ten gallon hat! I should fill him full of lead lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back