Guttering problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice on a neighbouring guttering issue.

I recently bought a three bed semi detached house and not long after moving in I noticed a problem with the gutters. During heavy rainfall water is pouring down the side of the house at the party line. On inspection the neighbour has had new gutters, soffits and facias and their new gutter has not been re-connected to mine. Both ends have instead been capped off and butted up together. There is however about an inch gap between the two gutters which is where the water comes through and pours down the side of the house, mainly on my side.

I got a quote from a local roofing company for reconnecting them both front and back of the house for around £100. I approached the neighbour about this to ask if he would pay half (Although I actually think he has caused the problem!) and he was initially very defensive about anyone touching his gutters. After some conversations he tried to reconnect the gutter himself but failed so I have since been up a ladder and put a piece of roofing felt over the gap as a temporary fix.

I’ve now decided to get my gutters and facias etc completely replaced and got a local company to give me a quote. I explained the gutter issue and they said that I could either reconnect or he could just butt up and put a bit of lead flashing over the two to solve the leak issue.

Personally I would rather connect the gutters but then I have to speak to the neighbour who can be quite awkward. I’m happy just to butt up and go for the lead flashing if this is a long term fix but the trouble is I can’t find anything on the internet to suggest that this method is suitable or not. I searched Google Images for ‘lead flashing between gutters’ but can’t find anything.

So my question is, is the lead flashing solution standard practice and a good fix or will I end up with problems down the line?

If anyone has experienced this problem or similar, then any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like a lot of fuss.. If he wont let you connect the two together then glue the stop ends together and keep quiet!

Quite normal practice when joining two differing types of gutter together.

Sponsored Links
If it’s at the party line and it’s the highest part and you both have down pipes each side then it’s better capping them off. It will prevent all his crap coming into your side if his outlets ever got blocked up.

Sometimes when we have a fussy neighbour who insists on like for like and not being capped off we weld a little bit of plastic inside the union to cap it off and they don’t know ha ha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back