Gutter at Gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all

The front roof of my house has a Gable with a short of gutter about 40 mm. The gutters from the nieghbours, on both sides run to each side of my Gable/gutter.

The pitch in the slope of one of my neighbour's gutter leading to his downpipe is insufficient, and allow most of the debris from his roof to flow towards my Gable/gutter.

When it rains heavily, the buildup of debris cause the water to rise above the top of the gutter and come through my ceiling at that point.

I spoke to him about it and he gave the impression that, as it is not affecting his property it is not his problem.

DSC 0391 attachment is the problem one.

Can anyone advise me on this please ?.

Thank you.

Nitell

Attachments

• DSC_0391[1].JPG
    DSC_0391[1].JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC_0392[1].JPG
    DSC_0392[1].JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 386
Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies.

Please see required info attached.

DSC 0394 is the with downpipe next to the Gable. No problem there.

DSC 0397 is the problem one with the downpipe at the far end of the adjoining property. Here some water go into the downpipe. The pitch is not enough so the debris from his roof flow towards the Gable. When it builds up the water rise above the level of the gutter into the bricwork and into the ceiling as shown in DSC 0400

DSC 0400 is where the water came through the ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC_0394[2].JPG
    DSC_0394[2].JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_0397[1].JPG
    DSC_0397[1].JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0400[1].JPG
    DSC_0400[1].JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
If you wanted to, you could involve your council's environmental health officer who would deal with this with their powers under the Building Act (drainage of water) , or Environmental Protection Act (statutory nuisance).

looks like your gutter is not man enough to take the water from your valleys.
Insert your own down pipes
Ceiling... is the valley leaking?

Thank you. I considered that, so I will have another look.

His outlet is probably blocked. He just needs to clean his gutters out and then re asses the situation.

but contrary to his beliefs it is his problem. As woody pointed out he cannot discharge water onto your property.

Op appears to have no DP of his own.
He has two long valleys going to a 40cm length of gutter on an internal corner..
In fact op is sending his water to his neighbors?

No, the valley is not leaking. When the debris builds up and it rains it overflow the gutter as explained.

As the Council has now indicated an interest, I will see how it goes.

Actually, Daterebal may have a point. So if he's right, the water come off of your roof, on to that short stretch of gutter, and then flows along the neighbours guttering and down his outlet. Interestingly enough, the property on the right has a downpipe immediately by your property, but on the left, it's further way, so yes, it's the build up in his gutter that's causing the overflow, but it's a bit of a mute point as to who's responsibility it is. If environlemental health are coming to have a look, they'll either tell him to keep his gutters clean, as he has responsibility for a shared system, or they'll advise you to get you're own downpipe installed. It may be nothing to do with debris; it's possible that the guttering system isn't up to handling the greater rainfalls we now get.

Keep us informed please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back