Leaking stone guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I live in a victorian house with stone guttering which is lined (I think it may have been lined quite a few times)!
Whenever it rains, the majority of the guttering is fine and the water runs straight down the downpipe. However, there is a small section where the rain overflows the gutter and runs straight down the side of the house and over the front door, pretty much like a huge waterfall.
Has anyone else came across this problem? I've had a roofer out who said there was no blockage at all. He advised fixing some 2x2 wood to the face of the gutter to increase the height and then cover this in a self-adhesive type flashing material.
I'm concerned that this will look awful on the exterior of the house, especially as my guttering will be a different height to my neighbours!
Can anyone offer any help/advice?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with some cast Ogee gutter. I fitted a strip of alli sheet up to do what your builder suggests and painted it satin black it is fairly unobtrusive.

Of course I was lucky in being able to bolt it to the gutter, but perhaps you could shape it to lay in your gutter and push up under the tiles as well, with a bit of some sort of jollop to secure it firmly in place safely.

Maybe a picture will get you some alternative answers.

Regards,
footprints

The trouble with these gutters is they get repaired and lined that many times that the overall space left for the water has decreased loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back