Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since our neighbours had their fascias and guttering done when it rains it is like a waterfall coming off our gutter and leaving water to gather on the ground. The problem is that the drainpipe is at their side of the houses (we're in semis) and the guttering on their house is not at a significant drop to clear the water away it's straight all along. When we have had someone to look at it he advised that the water is just gathering between both houses and therefore causing overflow when it rains. The neighbours will not fix this so what is the solution. We have no grid at our side to clear the water away to if we put a drainpipe in. I even thought of getting a water butt! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
No don't get a butt the gutter should be highest your further end and lowest their drain end. Can u post a pic of the run from a distance?

If they are not willing to alter the guttering to allow the water to flow freely as it should do to the down pipe, then disconnect it were it meets there new guttering and leave it up to them to rectify it.

Take pictures/video before and after to cover yourself. They sound like the kind of people who will try and cause a problem (say you damaged their gutter) for the sake of it, especially if you find a solution to your problem.

Sponsored Links
If they are not willing to alter the guttering to allow the water to flow freely as it should do to the down pipe, then disconnect it were it meets there new guttering and leave it up to them to rectify it.
How would that help? The downpipe is at the neighbours end!

freddymercurystwin is correct..... but weirdly I just realised someone I know has the exact same problem.....I was talking to them recently about what a silly design it is as it relies on the neighbours always getting on and/or being proactive about maintenance.

My friend is considering trying to connect the front guttering to the rear drain, which is on his property. This is difficult as it is a gable ended property (so the front guttering does not connect to the back), so he is looking to dig out a channel down the side of the house to have it join the rear drain at ground level. I do not know how feasible this is, but maybe worth considering.

Or, if your semi has a hip end and the gutters run all the way round, is there the possibility you could re-configure your gutters so all the water drained to the back? I assume you have a rear drain/downpipe on your side? The only problem may be water volume draining at one point..... so you may need deeper gutters etc. (you will need someone with experience to work that out based on roof area etc)

Does that sound feasible freddymercurystwin?

Ditto! dissconect it right at the join in the middle so it pi22es down on their side!! shouldnt take them long to see sense.

Ditto! dissconect it right at the join in the middle so it pi22es down on their side!! shouldnt take them long to see sense.

My friend is considering trying to connect the front guttering to the rear drain, which is on his property. This is difficult as it is a gable ended property (so the front guttering does not connect to the back), so he is looking to dig out a channel down the side of the house to have it join the rear drain at ground level. I do not know how feasible this is, but maybe worth considering.

Or, if your semi has a hip end and the gutters run all the way round, is there the possibility you could re-configure your gutters so all the water drained to the back? I assume you have a rear drain/downpipe on your side? The only problem may be water volume draining at one point..... so you may need deeper gutters etc. (you will need someone with experience to work that out based on roof area etc)

Does that sound feasible freddymercurystwin?
Theoretically but we don't know if its a hip or what.

It should help the neighbours come to there senses freddy, that they have employed some incompetent person to fit there guttering and it needs re-aligning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back