Shared Guttering Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help! I live in a Victorian 1895 semi and I share the guttering at with my neighbours. Historically this guttering has come down my side of the back wall, across my leanto and into a hopper and down pipe. This then discharged into a gully by our shared wall, went through a hole in this wall, along a gully in my neighbours patio and into the drain. Sounds complicated! However, about 3 years ago some neighbours re-surfaced their patio, effectively blocking up the hole and subsequent run-away for the water, which now rolls down my patio and eventually onto my grass. My problem is that during the high winds the section of this guttering which ran across my leanto came off and fell into my neighbours garden. This means that all my and my neighbours water is coming down the downpipe and pouring onto my leanto roof, obviously missing the hopper and spilling onto the patio. My neighbour has discarded the drainpipe! Says he is not giving it back to fall back into his garden - however - it was taking HIS water away.

I am now wondering what compulsion there is for me to continue this arrangement. Why should I take my neighbours rainwater into my garden? I intend obviously to get this drainpipe replaced, but want to inform him that I have no intention of taking his rainwater away and he should make arrangements to get guttering fitted to his side as well.

Can I do this?

Any advice will be greatly received - and yes, I have already considered ramming guttering somewhere the sun don't shine, but unfortunately it doesn't help with the rain disposal!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
deal with your own rainwater and let him deal with his.:cool:

write him a letter explaining your intentions. if he does not cooperate then he will have to deal with his own rainwater and guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back