Badly joined guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping to hear some advice on what we should do regarding some guttering works builders have carried out on an adjoining property which has affected ours.
We live in a 2nd to end terrace and our neighbour (end terrace) has had the guttering replaced. Our rainwater on the front and back drains to downpipes on the end property. Our guttering (and rest of the terrace) is standard half round, which matched her old guttering. For some reason, the builders have replaced it with deepflow and haven't been able to connect properly. I have looked and can't find an adaptor that would do such a job, wondering if anyone can advise if this is possible?
Solution so far has been to lay my guttering inside deepflow guttering and fill the gap with a job lot of sealant. Both connections have been conveniently positioned so if a leak was to occur, they are adjacent to my property. At the front, builder has also drilled through my guttering and used screws to make a firmer connection! Therefore, my gutter will be useless even if a solution to the connection adaptor can be found.
Builder and neighbour do not believe there to be a problem with the end result.
Any advice as to what to do next to resolve this would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the builder to remove and refit your guttering with matching guttering to your neighbours.

What did you get him round for? what does his quote/estimate say?

Andy

Thanks Andy,
However it is neighbours builder replacing their guttering, changing my guttering to match will shift the problem along to the next terrace as the whole terrace (6 houses) has the standard half round guttering. The terrace only has 2 downpipes at the rear of the properties situated on the 2 end properties. My presumption is that the neighbours builder ordered the wrong size guttering and is trying to make do. However, neighbour has told me that she is of the opinion that deepflow is ideal for terraced housing and so is happy with the guttering works. Not sure what to do next if suitable adaptors are not available and builder/neighbour won't budge...

Drilling through and using silicone is a complete bodge!
You must complain to your neighbour.

They will say that there is no problem, but the problem will arise in Winter when the cold and rain comes. By this time the builder will be long gone.

Good Luck

Andy

Sponsored Links
It's definitely a bodge. My opinion is that the only option available to solve the connection problem properly would be for the builders to replace the deepflow with matching guttering to the rest of the terrace. Would that be your opinion?

It's definitely a bodge. My opinion is that the only option available to solve the connection problem properly would be for the builders to replace the deepflow with matching guttering to the rest of the terrace. Would that be your opinion?
Definitely makes sense .
Get him told -or say you are gonna call local authority building inspector for advice .

I would bet that your neighbour will not do anything. If the joint leaks and causes damage you may be able to sue your neighbour as you may be able to prove negligence.

As Hertsdrainage has said, complain to your neighbour. There is very little else you can do. Photograph the joint(s), date the photo and keep it as a record.

I have already spoken with Building Control, but was told since it was a maintenance issue then they can do nothing. I am concerned that since the dodgy joints are positioned adjacent to my property (about 20cm over the boundary line) then when it leaks, the neighbour and builder will claim that it is not their problem....do you think they could do this?
I will speak again with the neighbour, but I don't hold out too much hope.
Thanks for your replies,

I have already spoken with Building Control, but was told since it was a maintenance issue then they can do nothing. I am concerned that since the dodgy joints are positioned adjacent to my property (about 20cm over the boundary line) then when it leaks, the neighbour and builder will claim that it is not their problem....do you think they could do this?
I will speak again with the neighbour, but I don't hold out too much hope.
Thanks for your replies,
ok- play them at their own game . Put a external stop end on the joint between your neighbours gutter and yours. Stop the flow of water from going into your terrotory .
Result is--it will overflow into your neighbours back garden. they will soon get fed up of the noise- come winter time .

ok- play them at their own game . Put a external stop end on the joint between your neighbours gutter and yours. Stop the flow of water from going into your terrotory .
Result is--it will overflow into your neighbours back garden. they will soon get fed up of the noise- come winter time .

The neighbour in question has the outlets on his side....i think :confused:

The neighbour in question has the outlets on his side....i think :confused:
well- thats ok- just do it .

I would write to the neighbour, (send it recorded delivery and keep a copy), letter entitled 'Putting you on notice'.

State that their builder has trespassed onto your property by removing a 200mm section of your gutter without your prior permission. He has then replaced this section on your property with a gutter of a different type, and not of your choosing, on (your neighbours) instruction.

As a result he was unable to make a satisfactory joint using the correct methods, and therefore should this joint fail and cause leakage onto your property then you will be holding the neighbour totally responsible and you will be seeking to recoup any costs you incur as a result from the neighbour.

Should problems occur, (and I imagine they will before long...), then it would be a 'legal nusiance', you have evidence that you warned the neighbour at the time and he choose to do nothing. Will help should you need to take legal action.

I very much agree with the suggestions of hertsdrainage.Gets the builder to receive away and repair your guttering with same guttering to your neighbors.

Capping the ends will just make my problem worse as my water has nowhere to go, this would in fact benefit the neighbour and I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the builders solution!
I have also considered sending a letter recorded delivery as Hugh suggests, and think this may be the way forward if neighbour refuses to get job done properly. It is frustrating that it does not seem possible to get the problem rectified even though the builder has as Hugh notes, trespassed and then, in my opinion caused damage (drilling through my guttering) without prior consent.

Writing a letter will cover you if (more like when) you need to get tough with the neighbour. They've changed matters, introducing a problem where there wasnt a problem before. Should the matter have to go before a court then doing nothing now is shown as acceptance of the matter, you cannot complain after the event.

If the neighbour is at the top end of the run then it seems pointless to fit deepflow gutter, as the far end towards the downpipe would be carrying the most water!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back