Legal requirement to connect new guttering to a neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi detached house and am planning to replace my old and leaky uPVC guttering with a new brown aluminium type which is formed in straight runs with no joins. I would like to know what legal requirement, if any, exists when connecting new guttering to a neighbours guttering.

Sponsored Links
If you improve the connection then consider this a bonus.

I have to say though, if it leaks once you have replaced your side then you will adopt responsibility for the union.

I am not a fan of seamless guttering as it is a maintenance nightmare. It will be subject to the same temperature changes as any other dark guttering.

I would have thought that semi-detatched house can have seperate gutter systems. Perhaps a picture might help, but I would have thought that if the semi's were identical they would each have their own down spout.

You would be expected to terminate your neighbours guttering properly, if you chose to not connect them. You should also assure yourself that the newly terminated end has sufficient fall towards their downspout.

If your picture could show all the relevant downspouts and if possible the fall on the gutter, you might get a definitive answer.

My assumptions were based upon single outlet shared guttering.

It is not uncommon for one semi to drain the front gutter and the neighbour to drain the rear.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Noseall, it wasn't meant as a disagreement, purely an alternative possibility.

Perhaps your wider experience will prove to be correct.
We can only await pictures or feedback.

My front gutter feeds in to the neighbour's gutter end and then downpipe. I'm totally replacing roof/fascias etc and would like to recover the water off this now lead-free roof. could I replace the gutter with a different fall, to take the rainwater the opposite way, round the flank wall and into a tank at the rear of the property? Maybe I should use deepflow for this increased water volume?
Ta!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back