Problem with newly laid concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I'm new to this site and I was after some opinions on the floor in a newly built ground floor extension.

The builders who built the extension screeded the floor but have left some brick exposed all along where the bifold doors are fitted. Hopefully you can see it in the photo in my album. It runs about three metres across by the bi-folds.

Another builder we know (didn't use as he was too expensive!) said these exposed bricks will cause damp problems and will ruin the oak wood floor we plan to install. He said we should ask the builders to remove the top layer of brick and apply a membrane before re-screeding the area.

We put this to the builder we have used and he said he thinks it's enough just to out a membrane down underneath the floor underlay.

Any opinions on who to believe?

Many thanks,

Lujay

Sponsored Links
Hilarious.

As said these bricks should have been chopped off, a membrane put down in the trough and screeded right up to the door sill.

There will be no DPC beneath these bricks because what you are looking at is actually DPC level.

Thank you for your help guys. Spoke to builder and he has promised to apply a plastic membrane over the bricks, a metre into the room. He said they're engineering bricks so "nothing should get through them anyway." We can only hope...

Sponsored Links
and yet you still put a dpm ontop of engineering bricks when a wall is built, :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back