Problem with Osmo harwaxoil on oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I've just finished applying Osmo hardwaxoil to a newly laid oak floor, and there are some dulll patches in places. I've had a look at a couple of other posts on here & the advice seems to be not to apply any more hardwaxoil, but to use wax on the dull patches.

I wondered if anyone had any advice about how best to do this to make sure I get the same finish on the waxed patches as the rest of the floor? Where I've used wax on other floors in the house, the finish doesn't look quite the same as the finish of the hardwaxoil, and I'm concerned that the floor will still look patchy, with 2 different products on it. Should I use an Osmo wax product?

Also, does anyone know why this might have happened & how I can prevent it if I use the hardwaxoil on other floors?

(btw, I've applied two thin coats of the hardwaxoil, about 10-12 hours apart as per the instructions.)

thanks for you help.

Louise

Sponsored Links
Hi Louise

This is a know fact - some parts of your wood has soaked up more or less than other parts. If you would apply a third coat of HWO - which contains both oil and wax - a similar problem would occur at other places.

Try buffing those dull areas first without anything added to the floor, if that doesn't help indeed apply some wax or wax-polish to those spots and buff. It might take a few days before you notice any effect, but 9 times out of 10 it will help.
See also just below step 7 in this guide

Thanks for your speedy reply WoodYouLike, I thought that might be the problem.

I should also mention that I seem to have used much less of the HWO than indicated - could I have applied it too thinly? Also the finish feels quite rough in places, as though the grain is raised - especially at the dull patches. I wondered whether the dull patches may not have been sanded properly.

The Osmo website mentions that if you've applied the HWO too thinly you should apply an additional coat. If I have applied it too thinly and the grain is raised in places, would there be any merit in lightly sanding the whole floor & applying another thin coat?

thanks again,
Louise

You could always do that if the polish or wax remedy doesn't help. But in our experience it does do the trick.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back