Problem with prehung fiberglass front door installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a contractor (through one of the big box stores) install a Thermatru fiberglass entry door prehung with duraplast frame and sidelites. It would be great if someone could tell me if the following issues are worth complaining about or are simply imperfections one would expect from any install. I plan to contact the installer about some of the below issues, but it would be great to first get some experienced advice.

1) The caulk between the threshold and the brick has some gaps after partially drying - this one seems like an obvious problem that the installer should immediately address. See the picture below

2) The installer added 2 pieces of wood trim on the inside - I have no idea why this was added..the only thing I can think of is that without this extra trim the strikeplate may stick out further? See pics. The problem with this wood trim is it does not match up smoothly with the vertical trim that it meets on top of the door....maybe when painted I would not notice.

3) When closed, there is pressure on the door bolt/lock. In other words when I turn the handle the door pops open to relieve the pressure. If I swing the door close (not excessive force), the lock often will not catch. Is this something that should be expected to subside over time...or does it sound like the strikeplate/locking mechanism is not properly aligned? also only the very end part of the locking mechanism(bar? not sure of the formal name) actually sits in the strike plate.

4) There is a very narrow widening of a small piece of trim that runs parallel to the threshold on the floor. This seems very minor, but was still noticeable to me. See picture.

5) The screw caps from one of the sidelites were missing. The installer said they would return to install the missing caps. However, it it expected for the installer to sand down any caps that jut out or is that not typically included?

6) There are some other areas where there the caulk does not seem well applied. I've included an example where there is a a small missing spot right in the corner. Is this sloppy work or nothing with which to be concerned?

7) Lastly in one bottom corner, where the new door frame meets the existing house frame, there is a small amount of wood rot (softness in about a 1 inch section of the house trim/support). The installer informed us that they would replace an rot under the old door so I would expect them to replace this too.

I'm not sure how to add pics to this post - it seems like they are only visible in my profile?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back