Problem With radiators Heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Can you experts help me out.
I have a problem with three... Rads... in the lounge / dinningroom.

When the heating fires up and gets to temperture, they get hot at the top and slightly warm further down the rad.
Tryed bleeding to no affect. The pipe side with the TRV is red hot, the pipe other side is coolish.
Iam i looking at sedimemt in the rads or problem with sticking valves.
Can,t seem to solve.

Your advice much appreciated.........:cool:

Sponsored Links
As a rule hot at the bottom cold at the top air needs bleeding, hot at the top cold at the bottom sludged up. Often there seems to be an inverted "U" cold shape in the bottom where the sludge settles out but the ends keep clear due to water passing out the return.

Try turning some rads off, especially upstairs ones that heat up quickly. If the problem rads then start heating up, would point to balancing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for your response,
Turned all rads off upstairs as suggested by.... whitespirit66... and the rads have got much hotter at the top and warmer at the bottom.
The side with the TRV on, is Red hot like before but the other pipe the other side of rad is slightly warm.
Is it still balancing or blocked with sludge.

Thanks...... :D

It may be worth opening the pump and checking for dirt in the impeller and doing the finger test ( see FAQ ).

Tony

Is it still balancing or blocked with sludge.

You've more or less ruled out balancing, as I would expect the downstairs rads to be hot all over with upstairs rads off.

Follow Agile's advice first and investigate the pump. Failing that, I would remove a rad and see what comes out of it with a hose.

It may be worth opening the pump and checking for dirt in the impeller and doing the finger test ( see FAQ ).

Tony

Had me confused Tony I thought it was something to do with me prostate problems ;)

As said best to drain the smallest radiator lug it into the garden and run the hose through it, make sure you block the ends and put down plastic, sludge and carpets don't mix, or rather they do very well!!! :D

I would of turned off all rads, not just the upstairs ones.

But there you go.

Has no one suggested taking the head off the trv and making sure the pin is free?...this will give reduced flow rate if the pin is stuck down.
But at a guess I'd say check the pump impeller is clear and a balance of all rads won't hurt.

How old is the system? I only ask as in my ancient system someone has installed a bypass on the downstairs loop meaing that the downstairs rads never got hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back