Problem with Stove Install - Hetas needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Stovax Stockton stove for 4 years now, but it's done probably less than 120 fires in ttotal as it's always gave off fumes (feel dizzy etc) and has been like this from new. I assumed it was the 'break in' period or possibly burning off residues from previous fuels but we've obviously well since passed that now. There's a co2 meter in the room and ventilation isn't the issue. I've had 2 people do a smoke test on the chimney/flue (and sweeps), there's no blockages and both seemed to think the install was fine, however, I do think they were just sweepers so may not have been best qualified to judge that.

I rang stovax's technical who said it's a solid model with few problems or seals to worry about - they said it sounded like the fumes were coming off something surrounding the stove but I have my doubts (FWIW we also have a lot of soot staining on the walls). I've not ran it this year, but I'm pretty sure the fumes are evident before anything around it's had a chance to really, significantly heat up. We have the hearth tiled, and there's fireproof board behind that (dot dabbed onto the brickwork). The stove is at least 150mm from the tile, though the flue pipe is much closer. The problem also seems to be worse with coal (if I recall right, the problem was minimal with seasoned wood) but we last tried compressed wood pellets and they were just as bad.

Not sure where to go from here - is there any way to troubleshoot it?

Sponsored Links
if you have soot staining on walls then you have carbon monoxide entering the room , do not use the appliance again until it is tested and rectified by a professional , call Stovax and ask them for a list of their recommended installers that cover your post code

Thanks Ian - I didn't realise that was the case, and thought maybe it was just from handling coal in the room but wasn't sure. Would've thought the alarm would trip if that was the case? (It was a new alarm btw).

Sponsored Links
if you have "soot" on the walls then it is a product of combustion, if you have coal dust on the walls then it could be because you are handling coal in the room, soot and coal dust are not the same thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back