Wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a wood burning stove fitted a few weeks back. Looked great but had some issues with the heat coming out. The installer came back to have a look at it it and one of the solutions was to put a sealant around the base of the flue where it connects the stove.

The problem we have now got is the sealant looks a bit rubbish - there's loads on, it's wonky and the gloss finish doesn't sit well with the matt black stove.

I wanted to know if there was anything i could do to solve the problem? if the sealant can be removed, i'm happy to do that and then re-do it so it's a better finish. Or, would i be better spraying over the flue/sealant with a matt stove paint?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo bonvin

was he hetas registered and give you a certificate

I'm guessing it's a silicone based sealant when you say it's a gloss finish on it, if that's the case it wont take a coat of paint.
You could remove the silicone & replace with fire cement, this is cream coloured but can be painted.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing it's a silicone based sealant when you say it's a gloss finish on it, if that's the case it wont take a coat of paint.
You could remove the silicone & replace with fire cement, this is cream coloured but can be painted.

Thanks for the advice.

What's the best way to remove the silicone without damaging the finish on the stove?

Cheers

I don't know if normal silicone sealer remover will work with the heat resistant stuff but you could try it, it's available in any DIY store

You can get black fire cement.....I use Calfire Spareline stuff.
I find the black silicone stuff won't work at the stove / flue connection as its too hot there - fine higher up though.
John :)

+1. High temp sealant isn't suitable for prolonged periods over 275 ° C. You need black fire cement (calofer), up to 1500 ° C

Use the stove for a while and that HT silicone will soon come off...

Are you using correctly-seasoned wood on the stove? Damp wood (even if it feels dry) will only have about a third of the heat output of properly dry wood. You need to test it with a moisture meter - your wood should have a moisture content of not more than 20%, if it's higher than that it's too wet to burn

HT silicone is only rated to about 300C. Well below sf stoves operating temperatures.
Above that it will start to burn and send dangerous fumes and gases through out the home and possibly ignite and catch fire burning the house down.

If a hetas guy did that then it doesn't bode well for the industry.
I don't mean to be scaremongering but thats the reality I'm afraid.

I wouldn't light the stove and and would remove that gunk asap.
That will likely mean removing the flue section.
So you will need your hetas installer back again I'm afraid.

Maybe it's not silicone then. He told me that the temp it can resist up to 1200 degrees.

The stove has been on a few times since it's been applied. has reached temps over 400 degrees and nothing has bubbled or given off any fumes.

The only problem i has was the appearance. Wondered how easy it would be to remove and reapply, or paint over?

Paint it and see what happens, if it sticks then all good. Note my comments earlier about heat output / wood needing to be dry

Above that it will start to burn and send dangerous fumes and gases through out the home and possibly ignite and catch fire burning the house down.
I don't mean to be scaremongering but thats the reality I'm afraid.

But you are. How on earth is a bit of silicon on top of a woodburner in a fireplace or on a hearth going to start a house fire?

The fumes can go on fire. I know a house where it happened.
You have a toxic mix of the flue gas mixing with the burnt silicone gases which can create a highly dangerous flammable mixture.

All the elements of the fire triangle are there.

Silicone is not HETAS approved for use on sf stoves. And good job too!
If you have been advising its use then take a step back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back