Problems boarding a loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm in the process of boarding part of my loft which is 6ft 9 x 9ft 2 but when removing the old insulation I found central heating pipes and wires going over the joists which are 3x2.
Can I make stilts out of some 3x2 to raise the boards over the pipework as I'm worried about putting strain on the joists. Some of the pipework is quite high above the joists so I'm thinking of making a box to go over it to protect the pipework.

1469897977888.jpg
1469898057802.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks but it would be too costly. Does anyone else think it would be ok to make some stilts out of 3 x 2 as the plastic ones although lighter would cost a lot more

Can't see that it's going to add that much extra weight. You could also reduce the timber section to 2 x 2 or even 2 x 1 edge on I'd say - providing you use sufficient fixings

Sponsored Links
No need for stilts. You can use counterbattens at right angles to the existing joists and board onto them. Use screws to fix, as banging in nails may crack plaster.

Counterbattens will spread the load a little, and add some rigidity, as well as allowing thicker insulation under the flooring. They are also more stable than stilts. Position them to suit the width of your flooring.

Have a look at the timbers used on garden decking, which are treated with preservative and widely available at modest prices.

Thanks for your replies everybody I think counter battens will be the best choice as making stilts would require a lot of sawing and might not be as stable.
I hadn't thought of using decking timbers I'll definitely look into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back