Problems with a cheap tap i bought from eBay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i purchased the following basin monobloc tap from ebay in july.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130814130089&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

i installed it and it worked fine for a while

then the problem started

the tap doesn't produce hot water.

when the tap is turned on to give hot water, none comes out, even after waiting for 10 minutes or more.

i can hear the water leaving the boiler as it is in the cupboard the other side of the wall where the basin is but there is no ignition.

all other taps in the house work fine, and i have to turn the bath tap on to get the boiler hot to give hot water in the basin.

i know its a cheap tap and it probably deserves me right for buying cheap , but i have never had this problem before when i have bought other cheap taps for my kitchen and downstairs toilet.

i have removed the aerator from the head of the tap, still no change.
i have also taken the tap out, and tried the old tap that was installed and it works perfectly.

so i dont know what else to do, i am thinking it could be the tap at fault, but what else should i be looking at before contacting manufacturer about warranty

any help appreciated

many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I bought cheap taps from ebay. I've been through 3 in the last 18 months.
Enough said. Just chuck it not worth fixing.

Sponsored Links
could be some crap in the connector to the tap restricting the flow.
kinked flexible pipe connection? duff cartridge in the tap. any isolating valves underneath not fully open

your ebay seller has sold 2416 of these taps so turned over £39743.20 on this item alone.

if its still under warranty you could ask him nicely to replace it.

The OP has not explained a logical situation.

I was called to a house where the boiler was not giving any heated water.

Quickly diagnosed a crossover. Spent quite a while carefully checking the lost extension recently connected.

Eventually discovered that the Ebay tap recently fitted by the owner had a casting fault inside so the cold was permanently connected to the hot to create the cross over.

Turned off the HW iso valve until he could change the tap. Cost about £134 so not cheap either. Don't know if tap supplier paid our £84 fee.

It does demonstrate how these things are not tested at all!

Tony

The OP has not explained a logical situation.

Seems logical enough to me. The new tap was working fine, the old tap will work fine. Now the combi doesn't fire up to heat the HW when the new tap is turn on. This suggests that the flow through the combi is now too low. (The OP doesn't say if the flow is lower, but I'm presuming so)

Some restriction/blockage in the supply pipe or in the tap as mcmoby69 suggests, though I suspect the problem is with the tap.

I'd just be contacting the seller about a warranty replacement I think.

the tap doesn't produce hot water.

when the tap is turned on to give hot water, none comes out, even after waiting for 10 minutes or more.

many thanks

What you meant to say is that the water comes out cold and does not trigger the boiler to start.

Boilers need a certain minimum flow rate to start. This is usually 3 litres per minute or less.

You need to measure the flow rate from a bath tap that JUST turns on your boiler.

Then measure the flow rate from your new tap!

A tap is a passive device with little scope for "going wrong".

But follow the advice above and it will identify where your problem lies!

Tony

tony this is why I asked the op what type boiler he has and if this tap was furthest away

It is almost certain to be the boiler at fault.

But the OP has gone awol !

I have tried to point him in the right direction but all my efforts have been ignored it seems.

Still useful reading for those who research faults by reading existing posts though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back