Problems with building built in wardrobes. Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today I've started to build some built in wardrobes in one of our bedrooms but have come across problems already.

The bedroom is a converted garage.

I'm looking to fix a baton to the wall as a support for a long shelf, I went to B&Q and got some 10mm x 135mm long frame fixing rawlplugs and screws as they were the longest they do.

Upon getting home and drilling into the wall, I've found there is alot more insulation than I originally thought, I am drilling 270mm into the wall before hitting the breezeblocks, obviously the plugs aren't holding properly and pull back out with a bit of force applied. The baton will support quite a bit of weight so I need ideas on what to do??

The longest rawl plugs I can find at B&Q are 135mm long and are nowhere near long enough to go into the breeze blocks to provide required support.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Might have to use threaded rod with resin fixing in the breezeblocks or if it's an outside wall then use threaded rod right though and nut/bolt. Is it plasterboards? if so, you can use heavy duty plasterboard fixings

Much easier to fit an mdf shell to walls , ceiling, and floor that way no support from walls is required.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been working away all week.

In the end I just ended up screwing the joist as far into the wall as possible, although its not reaching the breezeblocks, the shelf is holding fine as the 2 ends are screwed into the breezeblock so are solid and the wardrobe has 2 upright to support the shelf.

This is what it looks like

photo.jpg

Just need to figure out how to build some sliding doors for it now as the cheapest quote I can find online is £600 plus fitting and I don't want to spend that much considering its only cost me £150 to build all the wardrobe.

Andy

Sponsored Links
They look good foxhole,

How did you go about making them? I'm not very diy savvy :(

I'd like full mirror like yours as they should make the bedroom look bigger (its a converted garage) but with oak surround as the furniture and bed are solid oak.

I'd happily have a go at making my own if I could do it for the £350 region, just don't have the money to splash out £600+ because I've got a baby due in 3 months time and more important things to buy lol

Andy

Hi foxhole,

I have to have sliding doors as there will be a cot infront of the wardrobe so won't be enough room for standard doors to open.

Did b&q make yours to measure? Or are standard size?

Problem I have is, because it's a garage conversion, the ceiling height is low at only 1990mm meaning most companies charge an extra £300+ to make doors to measure on top of the standard size prices.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back