Problems with new central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had a complete new central heating system fitted 2 weeks ago.

I turned the central heating on yesterday for the 1st time, after about an hour 2 of the 6 radiator were warm at best. I rang the installer up to ask some questions and he said there must be air in the system and i should bleed it. So today i bought a radiator key, turn the heating on and after 30 mins tried to bleed the radiators, but only got water out. So after 1hr 20mins and still only 2 warm radiators i rang the installer again. This time he told me i shouldn't of bled the system, he will come and have a look and wont charge me this time. What could be wrong and if it isn't sorted who do i complain to?

thanks

Sponsored Links
BALANCE THE SYSTEM... SHUT ALL THE HOT ONES AND CRACK THEM OPEN HALF A TURN. YOU COOLER ONES WILL HEAT UP

Sponsored Links
Do you have thermostatic valves on the rads by any chance?
Are the lock shield valves open enough?

hi,
By half a turn do you mean open it to 2.5 or just open it abit?

I'm not 100% sure what a thermostatic valve is, if its marked 1-5 then yes, if not then i dont know? Im also not sure what a lock shield valve is.

You've had a new CH system installed, the first time you use it - it doesn't work properly ? Get the installer back and demand he put it right.
I'm amazed that he says he won't charge you this time !

the side of the rad you cannot turn by hand is the lockshield.
if you turn them all down(close them then just crack them open half a turn)on the rads that are hot this willcreate more flow to the rest of the system allowing the further rads to heat.
this is called balancing,and isnt always done on new installs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back