Problems with Oak flooring

IWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8 months ago we had a beautiful 100%french oak floor fitted in the ground floor of our house. The flooring was secretly nailed to the existing 100 year old floor boards with the perimeter glued.
Before installation the original floorboards were checked and were acceptable in respect of moisture levels.
In May the floor started to lift and bulge.
The contractor informed me that the problem was in respect of the new floor expanding beyond the acceptable levels. He look up some perimeter boards and we agreed to leave things for two weks to settle.
The situation deteriorated and the boards expanded throughout the ground floor.
The contractor then informed me that the moisture levels in both the new floor and the old were exceptionally high. We have not had a flood or a leak and he suggests it is a consequence of a rising water table.
I now have a bulging floor with gaps around the perimeter and an insurance company suggesting I am not covered.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back