Problems with Vaillant Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,
I'm hoping that I can get some advice please with my boiler which I've included a picture of above. I believe that it might be a turbomax? but I have no documentation for it and we inherited it with the house when we bought it.
We've been having a slight problem with leaking from the pipe which is connected to the pressure release valve for some time. The rate of leakage has increased recently to a steady drip but there was no problem with use of central heating or hot water supply. The pressure gauge on the front of the unit read a fairly steady 2.0.
On Tuesday evening last week a well meaning friend informed me that it was probably due to the pressure being high and that did I know the way to lower the pressure. He told me that the boiler would be more efficient between 1.0 and 1.4 bar. He then turned the pressure release valve a couple of clicks, and quite a substantial amount of water drained out of the release valve pipe into the garden. He then repressurised the system by turning the tap on the filling loop.
The heating continued to work fine but the hot water was now of a fluctuating temperature, from warm to hot in cycles lasting from 5-20 seconds.
Over the period of a couple of days the pressure rose from around 1.4 up to 2.4 bar, however I was a little concerned that this might have been because he let too much water into the system so yesterday afternoon I depressurised the system with 1 click of the pressure release valve.
During the afternoon the pressure rose slowly and steadily from 0.7 bar back up to around 1.7 bar with the CH on.
This morning the boiler is reading the error message F22.
Have I just turned a small problem into a big one? :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if their could be 3 problems.

The filling loop on the boiler valves could be leaking allowing extra
water into the system.

The expansion vessel might have lost it's air charge.

Possibly faulty pressure relief valve. But that might be due to the expansion vessel.

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, it sounds like I need to get an engineer out for it.
The pressure is reading 2.0 bar at the moment if that helps.
Will it matter if the engineer I call out has experience with Vaillant boilers or are they fairly standard?
I'm in SE23 (South London).
Thanks again,
Chris

As dcawkwell has said.

F22 = Low or no water in appliance,
Pump defective
Any engineer worth his salt should be able to rectify this fault.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that Ben would be cheaper and possibly quicker!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back