Profile of a Drip

Drip groove itself are just bigger than a drip - so maybe 5 x 5mm. At least that's the sort of size I used to machine

Sponsored Links
Changed the profile altogether, wife didn't think he rings looked very natural, it is about 5mm deep, and appears to do the job
xWWbb02.jpg

xWWbb01.jpg

it is more pleasing to the eye good choice (y)

aaaannnndd the lh screw on your calipers looks loose

aaaannnndd the lh screw on your calipers looks loose
It does doesn't it.

But on further examination it is just poor workmanship. It would appear that one of the holes through the body is not in the correct place, this misalignment is stopping the screw fitting correctly into its countersunk hole.

Disappointing in a tool designed for high accuracy.
xCal.jpg

Sponsored Links
ahh ok so the first screw in tight will locate it firmly to that hole and the other one climbing up the chamfer??

They're designed to look like they're designed for high accuracy. But they're definitely not designed to archive high accuracy.

Parkside stuff is alright, you get what you pay for and with that in mind it is excellent value.

The calipers I have of theirs are absolutely fine, they do the job well. What I was meanng above about 'high accuracy' was more to do with perceptions, for a tool that is sold as a precission instrument, it could have been made a little more accurately than it has.

I wonder what went wrong in the manufacturing process to create a mistake like that, I wonder how many in that batch all have that exact mistake. Production machines run quickly, could be 50 or 100,000, all done before the brand name is stamped on.

The question is surely whether they give a damn, or whether the guy making the item (or at least drilling and tapping the parts) knows what the tool is being used for. Based on the "quality" of Chinese instruction manuals I'd say it is a combination of the two. Never mind the quality, feel the width?

Parkside stuff is alright, you get what you pay for and with that in mind it is excellent value.
You hit the nail on the head which trumps anything anyone can say about Parkside tools, its built cheap for the masses and generally works OK for it's intended purposes.

The question is surely whether they give a damn, or whether the guy making the item (or at least drilling and tapping the parts) knows what the tool is being used for. Based on the "quality" of Chinese instruction manuals I'd say it is a combination of the two. Never mind the quality, feel the width?
Indicating your age with that quote J&K! :LOL: :LOL:

Regarding measuring tools such as Verniers, depth gauges, micrometers, etc
I have known high end ones to measure incorrectly because of how they were stored. i.e. on a shelf in a freezing shed or in a van on the dashboard.
They are usually calibrated in a room with the ambient temperature at 20C and they should be left in the room, (out of any cases), for 24hrs prior to calibrating.
We had an apprentice who was learning to be a metal turner working on lathes. Each time he was given a simple task it would always be undersized. Supervisor suspected he couldn't read the analogue dials on the lathe so 'taught' him over 2 days what each one meant and how to read them. Apprentice seemed to be able to read them so was told to do a sample job where the measurements on the lathe dials corresponded to the readings on his micrometer and vernier. He kept getting different readings each time he measured them, then it dawned on his supervisor he was measuring as soon as he stopped cutting so the steel was still warm. He was then cutting a bit more till the reading was correct on the hand tools but not with the machine gauges. Once he was told to cut to the machine gauges then wait a minute for the steel to cool, he was good.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back