Programmble room thermostat question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help would be appreciated;

I'm looking to replace my honeywell 'dial' room thermostat with one that can adjust the temperature for different times of the day, so that it can be cooler in the mornings than evenings.

It is a two wire device, and connects to a BOSStherm central heating/water programmer, so all I want the thermostat to do is dictate the room temperature, and the central heating programmer to dictate the on/off periods.

I had identified the Salus RT500 as a replacement, but reading through past posts, it doesn't seem to get favourable reviews. Can anyone confirm if this type of thermostat would work on my set-up with two wires? Or are there any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to replace my honeywell 'dial' room thermostat with one that can adjust the temperature for different times of the day, so that it can be cooler in the mornings than evenings.
Then you need a programmable thermostat

It is a two wire device, and connects to a BOSStherm central heating/water programmer, so all I want the thermostat to do is dictate the room temperature, and the central heating programmer to dictate the on/off periods.
A programmable stat will dictate both times and temperatures. The heating side of the Bosstherm will be redundant.

I had identified the Salus RT500 as a replacement, but reading through past posts, it doesn't seem to get favourable reviews. Can anyone confirm if this type of thermostat would work on my set-up with two wires? Or are there any suggestions?
The Salus will do what you want but, as you surmise, there are better ones available, such as the Honeywell CM907.

Thanks for the reply.

As I thought, but, is it feasable to make the room thermostat dictate only the temperature, and the Bosstherm dictate the time? That way I could keep all the time functions together upstairs and just the temp control in the front room?

I think in reality it should be ok, I would make the time settting on the thermostat 'always on'?

Sponsored Links
To confirm that I can use a 'programmable' room thermostat to dictate the temperature only, and the existing programmer to dictate the time. I tried to make myself as clear as possible. Sorry if I didn't.

But what's the point?

Why by a 4x4 to pootle around Chelsea?

Why buy a programmable thermostat specifically NOT to use the programmable bit?

Or is it just me?

Hi Dan, I see your point.

As I tried to explain I want to 'program' the temperature changes, which can't be done with my existing dial thermostat.

If there's a thermostat out there that just does the temperature side of things I'd be happy. Do you know of one? Or do they all come with temp and time function?

With regards to the 4x4's, I think they have them because they 'can'. Same applies to my thermostat. It's not life of death that it doesn't adjust the temperature, but it's more of a car's manual/auto transmission comparison than a 4x4/Chelsea one. (IMHO!!) :)

The DT90e will replace you current one, but will still need a timer.

The CM901 or CM907 will take the place of the thermostat and you just leave the timer on the boiler on constant and let the thermostat do the thinking - which is the whole point of having one.

I don't know why you want a thermostat that can "program" temperature changes, and then have a timer as well.

I must be missing something?

to twist on the op's name you must be missing your conkers, can't you really see the point??

ffs neither can I i want a room stat that changes temperatures at certain times of the day (tick) then i want it to be controlled by a seperate timer ?????

Complete conflict of interest's congers ONE or the OTHER not both!!

Cheers Dan and D_Hailsham, useful suggestions. It's clear to me (now) that temp and time control of a heating system go hand in hand (in one controller).

I think some people were missing my point about having a programmable temp controller only. It's just that I've got a 'time' control function in the bosstherm controller, so was merely asking if there was a way of programming the temperature changes without having to buy another 'time' controller, but if I did could I ignore the time setting on room stat. ( I already had a timer, so really only needed a gizmo to do the temperature adjustments)

Thanks to your responses it looks like I'll be using a new programmable room stat to do both temp and time, and leave the bosstherm on constant. (thanks again).

Bell824, to twist on your name, 'end'. I didn't 'want' it to be time controlled by a separate timer. It's just that I already had a timer, so merely wanted the stat to change the temperature for different times of the day.......it's now clear from the other 'useful' posts that I'll be stuck with 2 timers, one on constant.

One key thing you missed is that the programmable stat applies a little intelligence.

Instead of doing what you tell it, it does what it needs to to give you what you want.

You don't know how long your house takes to warm up in the morning... you're as sleep.

You doesn't know how long it takes to warm up in the afternoon.. you're at

The programmable room stat monitors all this and adjusts the start times accordingly.

Of course, to do the job properly, you need weather compensation.

I think the Danfoss Chronotherm is supposed to do similar things but they are rubbish controls anyway.

The3re may be a few others - Heatmiser for example - but I am not sure of the ions and outs - might also do it as they are producing some funky looking things. Would be silly to make something like that and then not put a proper functions like optimum start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back