Programmer or valve not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new programmer (Honeywell 9400C) to my heating system last September. I thought everything was OK but now I find that the water won't heat up without the heating being on. Not a problem in the winter but will be now. So, what I have is:

CH on and HW on - OK
CH on and HW off - OK
CH off and HW on - Both are off

With the CH set to off, when I switch the HW on the light on the programmer comes on but nothing happens (the boiler doesn't fire up). When I switch the HW off the light goes off and there is a noise that sounds like a valve closing (if I move it the lever will return to its original position). There is a second valve (looks like a three way). I can move the lever freely but it doesn't appear to do anything in response to the CH/HW being turned on/off.

My question is: From what I have described is this likely to be a wiring fault at the programmer or a fault with the valve? I don't want to check/rewire the programmer if what I have described above means that the problem must be with the valve.

If it's relevant the CH controls are quite old. There is a frost thermostat, but no room thermostat. All the radiators are fitted with TRVs. There is an electric immersion heater in the hot water tank but I can't see a thermostat. Boiler is a BAXI Combination about ten years old.

Thank you for reading this, I hope it makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You do not have a baxi combi it is something else, I think you have a fault with your motorised valve wiring, since by default the at rest position with the motor is hot water. This means including programmer wiring problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back