Prop and Build back in Vs Remove and rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove the existing porch to dig foundations for my front extension. I had originally planned to prop the rafters forming the sloped roof over the existing porch whilst i removed the timber frame below dug my foundations and rebuilt the roof structure into the extension blockwork.

I will be having the entire roof re tiled as part of the extension, nit just the new bit of roof.

I am now thinking should i just remove them and have rebuilt along with the new roof that will tie into it after the new walls go up rather than try to work round them.

There are 4 timbers in total. The images show how they connect to teh main building within the loft and then from below within the porch area.

Will these give any structural support to teh main roof ro external wall or can they just be cut out. Once the main roof has had the tiles removed i assume fitting replacements will be a simple exercise?

Help much appreciated
pjimage.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a dated look in any case. Why don't you get creative and duo-pitch the roof along with some nice soffit and barge overhang and something different for the gable like a nice mineral clad or have the roof open with some oak rafters and see-through oak framing to the gable?

Might have room for another first floor window too.:)

Thanks - So ok to cut them out for the time being?

We are fairly restrained by the planning officer as the road is all similar design. Whilst we have to keep the "slope" this will then be tieing into a roof at 1st floor level when the extension is built. We are thinking of ways to put our own spin on it whilst maintaining the original look.

At the moment the ceiling in this area is standard 1st floor height. We definately want to open that up to follow the roof line and give max ceiling height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back