Propping roof for below-wallplate work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In an extension, I have removed the outer leaf to gain extra room in the new upstairs bathroom. The existing internal lintel however is a ginormous concrete thing which has a slope at the front protruding into the cavity by 75mm (cavity's width). The length of the lintel is 2.5m. Think of a catnic extra heavy duty type but without the lower lip for the outer leaf.

I therefore wish to remove the lintel. Part of the opening will be bricked up and part will help form a doorway. Overall length for support under wall plate is 3m.

How am I best propping the cieling above the wall plate? Can i just prop between upstairs cieling and floor or do i need to transfer this downstairs as well? We have 3" joists 4" rafters, a rafter span of 2m to purlin and concrete double roman tiles.

All help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't just prop the ceiling unless you are sure the ceiling joists are well connected to the rafter feet. I would be inclined to put a bearer between the ceiling joists and rafter so you know you are propping the roof and not just the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Wessex. I have a sloped edge (technical term?) with the joists connected to the rafters about 1' up from the wall plate, so I'm trusting they're securely fastened.

That's a 'collar-braced' roof; as Wessex suggested, wedge a timber in the angle between the c/joists and rafters
incase the nailing is not too good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back