Prospective fault current

Basically any large presumed fault currents in a domestic situation are more than likely way over what will actually occur.

This I don't dispute - but if you measure the maximum and all your switchgear/breaker's capacities are above :) this, then happy days :)

Sponsored Links
Sparkybird's turn...

StraightTorn1.jpg

Some MCBs are also marked with an ICU rating (ultimate fault current) which is the maximum it can withstand but not be servicable again afterwards....

I thought the Icn value was the maximum value for the breaker but it may not remain servicable.
Ics - the in-service maximum capacity
Icu - I think comes from another standard?

Sponsored Links
Some MCBs are also marked with an ICU rating (ultimate fault current) which is the maximum it can withstand but not be servicable again afterwards....

I thought the Icn value was the maximum value for the breaker but it may not remain servicable.
Ics - the in-service maximum capacity
Icu - I think comes from another standard?

Yeah, it could be BSEN60947-2 (MCCBs)

by calculation to obtain psc 230v div by ze 0.15 = 1.53Ka correct ????

does the same apply for 3 phase at 400v

ie 400v div by ze say 0.15 = 2.6Ka is this the correct calculation for a 3 phase supply ???

sorry im a newbe think i posted this in the wrong place help

You should maybe have started a new thread.
The PSCC (prospective short circuit current) is the maximum available current which can flow in the event of a fault between live conductors, (phase-phase or phase-neutral) it is either directly measured or if your meter wont do direct phase-phase then phase-neutral doubled will suffice.
PEFC (prospective earth fault current) is the max fault current between a live conductor and earth. This can be measured directly or by dividing the max phase-earth supply voltage by Ze.
PFC (prospective fault current) is either the PSCC or PEFC - whichever is greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back