Protecting Damp Proof Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'll give it a whirl. I own a 1950's semi and when we bought it we were made aware of the concrete surrounding the entire building was too high, thus affecting the DPC. I recently had a builder come round and say that there's of course the expensive option of taking it all up and starting again or alternatively grinding out a 5cm width gap all around the house down to a depth of about 6", laying a DPC and then pea-shingling over the top.

Reason I asked the builder is as the DPC doesn't look too great and the bottom bricks to the surface are a little flaky, there is no sign of damp.......yet

Anyone got any thoughts on this. If its a decent idea I would be willing to do this myself and use the money elsewhere on the house, re-pointing for example.

Sponsored Links
DPC has to penetrate the entire wall, waste of time and money to do as builder? suggests.Dig up concrete, a days work with a breaker and probably cheaper than pointless suggestion of builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back