Damp-proof course & plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

On my 1900-odd house on a section of the wall part of the brick work below the DPC has been knocked around a fair bit. I am getting the house repointed and the builder suggested plastering over the bottom and up to the DPC to tidy it up.

Now that would make it look better, however I have read that you shouldnt plaster over the DPC as this then prvides a bridge for the damp.

Is it inadvisable to plaster over the portion of the wall below the DPC even if you leave a small gap to the bottom of the DPC?

(Im thinking this is why it looks knocked around in the first place- to remove some plaster which may have covered DPC)

I am best just to leave the original bricks as they are, can they be dressed up anyhow?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you are correct about the bridging problem,is there enough room to render just below the dpc?

you are correct about the bridging problem,is there enough room to render just below the dpc?

there is about 6 inches, so yes

looking at it, it may be a bit pointless just doing the bottom section given how small it is but in principle it could be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back