Render below dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read something on the plastering and rendering section that got me wondering.

I'm going to be building my extension out of blocks and rendering. Below DPC I was going to use bricks the same as my house so they match up nicely as they will be on show. When rendering the blockwork a bell profile is used at DPC to help shed the water away from the wall.

Can you render under the DPC and bell profile or is that asking for trouble with damp? Would you need to leave a gap with that render for the DPC joint or not? If you rendered right up to the underside of the bell profile would that not bridge the DPC?

Just trying to work it out as if I can render below DPC I might as well block it instead of using bricks.

Sponsored Links
Even if you overcome the damp issue, you then have to deal with the frost damage issue. Bricks below Dpc are hard for a reason... You'd have it all blowing off every few years.

There are millions of existing houses rendered down to ground level and they seem just fine. Another daft reg.

Sponsored Links
Bridging into what? An external masonry skin separated from the inner skin by a cavity and a stepped tray. As mentioned plenty of property's seem to survive just fine, I've not noticed an issue of the render blowing.

Bridging into what? An external masonry skin separated from the inner skin by a cavity and a stepped tray. As mentioned plenty of property's seem to survive just fine, I've not noticed an issue of the render blowing.

Righty ho. DPC is a total waste of time then. Fitted for no reason at all, eh ?

Well there seems to be plenty of houses with render down to the ground and no dpc and they don't have any damp issues so it doesn't seem to be as clear cut as you seem to be insinuating.

It does seem very popular having googled it a bit. In Ireland especially it seems common. Wonder whether they have particular DPC/cavity/french-drain kind of detail?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back