Protecting the shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my shed up for about 2 years and today I noticed a thin cracked line down the right side door. Can't see any cracking anywhere else. It's superficial but I want to protect it before it gets worse. What's the best remedy? I've not yet coated the shed since it was built, so I'm guessing I need some Ronseal or B & Q own stuff, whatever is cheapest and effective, and will that stop the wood cracking further? My shed panels are about 6 to 7 foot each, so need about 4 litres? I'm assuming it's not rot setting in but perhaps due to the hot weather we've had?

https://postimg.cc/image/syacnakrr/
I put a coloured line around the crack area

https://postimg.cc/image/syacnakrr/
Close up at top of crack

Sponsored Links
That bit of boarding has the centre of the tree in it -which is what you see in your pic.

No amount of treatment would stop it cracking.

Fair enough. For general treatment, can you recommend what I need to protect the shed against rotting now that the horrible weather will be soon approaching?

Agree with Notch7 the defective area is the "pith" as above the very center of the tree from which the board was cut, it should have been rejected by the person assembling the door?

The recent hot sunny dry weather has probably accelerated the defect.

As for a treatment, if you are on a budget just go by price, It is the old story if you see the Ad on TV then you wih have to pay because of the Advertising costs incurred by the manufacturer?

One other repair could be to replace the damaged board? if you can find a board of the same sizes and it will forever be a different colour, its neighbours have been weathered for a couple of years more that the replacement

Ken

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.

Agree with Notch7 the defective area is the "pith" as above the very center of the tree from which the board was cut, it should have been rejected by the person assembling the door?

The recent hot sunny dry weather has probably accelerated the defect.

As for a treatment, if you are on a budget just go by price, It is the old story if you see the Ad on TV then you wih have to pay because of the Advertising costs incurred by the manufacturer?

One other repair could be to replace the damaged board? if you can find a board of the same sizes and it will forever be a different colour, its neighbours have been weathered for a couple of years more that the replacement

Ken

Hi Ken. I don't think I'll bother with replacing the board to be honest but I'm interested in coating the shed inside and out. I'm going to assume 4 to 5 litres should cover it.
I think the shed panels were pre-treated but I was meant to coat it after a few months and I never did. No signs of rotting yet so I'm hoping there's none.
Yeah I'm on a budget, don't want to spend any more than necessary to do the job. You mentioned go on price, any particular one you could recommend me from B & Q or Homebase, or even supermarkets? I want a very light colour, I believe cedar is the colour. I guess I just need anything that's water repellent?

I bought these and will hopefully use them next week, here's hoping for dry weather!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back