Protective coat over emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just painted a wall with dark blue matt emulsion. Unfortunately it is not very durable and marks and chips with the slightest touch. Even running a hand over the surface leaves a mark. I have seen there are clear coats designed to make such walls more durable but are they any good? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What paint brand was it?

How did you prefer the surface before you painted?

It was B&Q Good Home matt emulsion. The wall was previously papered but was stripped of paper leaving a painted pink wall underneath. This was thoroughly washed down and then a couple of coats of white emulsion were put on to form an even base coat prior to the blue top coats. It needed three coats of blue as two did not fully cover. To be honest, I am starting to go off the idea of a protective coat as I don't think it will be fully matt and I seem to have spent an awful lot of time with a roller in my hands recently and more rollering might just give me something I don't like.

The paints the problem , you get what you pay for I'm afraid .

You need to splash the cash and get a decent quality paint , it will last longer too

Sponsored Links
Yes, I suspected as much. Luckily it is only one feature wall that will be behind furniture so unlikely to get knocked. I always find paint makes a bit hit and miss. I have splashed out on expensive paint in the past and have been disappointed for various reasons. What are the best overall paints to go for?

Y I have splashed out on expensive paint in the past and have been disappointed for various reasons.
Barrow + Fall perhaps;) Generally speaking Trade paint from a trade outlet is best.(y)

You can use Polyvine Decorator's Varnish but I haven't used it for a few years so can't say if it's as good as it used to be. It's clear and comes in different finishes...flat, satin and gloss.

I too would recommend the clear waterbased Polyvine varnish but be warned that it might make the paint look darker. You also need to vacuum the walls to remove any clothing or carpet fibres given that the varnish is clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back