Protherm 80e Loss of Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a protherm 80e combi boiler. Over the space of a few hours it will lose pressure and show a fault of F0. We had a plumber out and he thinks its a downstairs leak but he didnt fill me with much confidence.

When the boiler is working everything is fine. The PRV does give out water regularly but only when the boiler is showing excessive pressure so i assume this is normal and not a PRV fault.

Is there anyway i can decide whether it is a system leak like he says or a boiler leak? Or is it my PRV fault. Any ideas on how i decide on the next step?

Ta, Matt

Sponsored Links
SOUnds like your pressure vessel needs attention. Do a search on pressure vessel . It has a valve like a car tyre. Press briefly. If water comes out you've found the problem, you need a replacement or an extra one. If not, reinflate it with a car pump with system pressure off - sorry we've given the answer so many times - try a search and come back if not clear.

Is the pressure vessel the same thing as an expansion vessel as i cant find pressure vessel anywhere in the boiler instructions only expansion vessel?

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated.

The pressure does rise very quickly and seen it at 2.7bar the other day.

Thanks, Matt

Yes it is the expansion vesell it will proberly need replacing tryu repressurising it first.

Sponsored Links
So just to confirm then. The fast increase in pressure when central heating is on and the overall loss of pressure is consistant with expansion vessel failure?

Also how much do i need to pressurise the vessel by? Do i need a certain pressure or what?

Thanks again for the assistance, much appreciated guys.

We spend most of our time repeating the same advice! If you do a search on the key terms you'll find a lot of info which will cover it.

The pressure varies with individual boilers as a general rule i pressure to 1 bar. if it holds ok if not replacing existing vessel means taking boiler off the wall and will require gas check so really corgi territory. Other alternative if feasible is to put external exp. vessel on system. p.s you may need to replace p.r.v as they do not always reset if been leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back