prv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there any problem putting a prv before the water meter. it is the easiest place to get to?

Sponsored Links
is there any problem putting a prv before the water meter. it is the easiest place to get to?

Please can you rephrase the question.

We're not sure exactly what you are asking.

Thanks.

thanks.i posted another question but got no answer so stripped it down. i have a thermostatic mixer shower (fed from cold mains and hot combi boiler) that screams at me once it heats up unless i turn the flow or temp down. i was told it maybe too much pressure, the valve max is 5 bar. i have now tested my pressure which is 5.5 bar. i dont know if that is enough to cause scream. i thought i should fit a prv, the easiest place to fit it is on the 22mm pipe just before the water meter coming into the flat (meter is in cupboard so easily accessed) any help or advice appreciated.cheers jon

Prv usually means pressure relief valve or safety valve.

You can add a pressure reducing valve downstream of the water meter.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. do you think the sreaching could be a pressure issue or should i look elsewhere?

PRV also means Pressure Reducing Valve. and yes you could fit it before the meter, provided you can turn the water off elsewhere.

Just a couple of genuine questions as I am looking to learn about these valves.

Won't that reduce the pressure to all his taps in the house to and make running a bath longer?

Would it be better to trace the pipe work to the 15MM shower pipe work?

thanks everyone have fitted prv and although bath takes longer to fill it has stopped screaching at me which is a vast improvement.

I think the "screaming" is the resistance of the valves as the water travels through, as you say you ve solved it and thats the main, thing, I know what you mean though, that noise can be annoying loud!!

Won't that reduce the pressure to all his taps in the house to and make running a bath longer?

It will reduce the pressure, it won't necessarily reduce the flow rate so the bath may fill at the same rate, depending on what taps are fitted and how they're fed.

OP - is your 5.5 bar the working pressure or the static pressure?

It will reduce the pressure, it won't necessarily reduce the flow rate so the bath may fill at the same rate, depending on what taps are fitted and how they're fed.

OP - is your 5.5 bar the working pressure or the static pressure?

I should imagine that will be standing pressure.

i dont know the difference between working pressure and static pressure. i put the pressure gauge on the washing machine feed and it measured 5.5, when i fitted the prv on the mains feed into the flat the gauge showed 6, i then throttled it back until it showed 4.5. the bath fill is fairly slow now throught the three way thermostatic valve but no screaching. i dont notice any real difference all other taps. i mat try turning it up as far as i can without screach.
cheers jon

Standing pressure is with no water being drawn at all.

Working pressure is with tap open.

Turn your shower on full, then go and read the gauge on your PRV with the shower running. That's your working pressure. You should be able to turn your PRV up until it reads 4.5 bar working pressure without the shower screaming. If it still screams, there's a problem with the shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back