Pull Cord Switch Connections?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought one of these and trying to add in a light and pull switch into a small cupboard (ex water tank / airing cupboard - no water/electrics in there - just turning it into store cupboard).

I first just extended the lighting ringmain by Junction Box > Bulb >Switch and back to Junction box - L to L, N to N and G to G = Had power to the bulb but switch not working i.e. bulb constantly on. So knew that I had made an error in understanding the circuit diagrams - even though I went carefully and slowly....
=====

The pull cord switch, as well as a G, has L & N connections twice, one set marked Supply and aother marked Load.

So - OK so took out all wires for bulb/switch from Junction box and started again.

Have followed the instructions
//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el032.php
to create a circuit loop > From 30A Junction box > Live to Live @ Bulb, N @ Bulb to Chock Blox (housed) to that on to L at Switch (Supply) N at Switch back to Junction Box Neutral.

Didn't blow the fuse, but no power @ Bulb, tried switch a few times...no luck. Used electrical screwdriver to establish if there is any power in the loop - nope! Checked that all connections have made contact.

Next Step??

Sponsored Links
You need to take the feed from the junction box and put the live conductor to Supply L and the neutral conductor to Supply N. Sleeve the bare earth conductors with green + yellow sleeving and put that in the earth terminal.

Then run another cable from the Load terminals to the light fitting.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
You need to take the feed from the junction box and put the live conductor to Supply L and the neutral conductor to Supply N. Sleeve the bare earth conductors with green + yellow sleeving and put that in the earth terminal.

Then run another cable from the Load terminals to the light fitting.

Davy

Davy - I would like to say THANK YOU - just did as you wrote above - worked perfectly!! :D :D

Much appreciated and worry factor down 100%......having spent 6 hours looking at circuit diagrams (and especially confusing where the part manufacturers ones - 1 part by itself made sense but when putting it together not so.....THANKS AGAIN DAVY.

Thanks also to the site/forums for sound advice and tips.

HiFly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back