1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Pulling an armoured cable through a brick wall

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by MisterBoy, 2 Nov 2020.

1. MisterBoy

MisterBoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The SWA I've bought has 11.7mm diameter according to the spec, I need to take it through a solid double-brick wall and pull about 5m of cable through. Should I have any concerns about damaging the cable - to be neat I'd go 12mm drill but maybe 14mm would be better? I'm assuming it's total overkill to fit any sort of duct, not to mention needs a much bigger drill and being careful, I shouldn't have any real problems?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2020
  2. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is pretty tough stuff, and does not like bending, so may be better with angled hole drilled from inside point slightly down so any water will run out and the bend radius is less.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. MisterBoy

MisterBoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I should've added it's going straight through the wall... running along one wall it has to pass through another making a 'T'. Thanks for your note on drainage.

5. ktuludays

ktuludays

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd drill it at 14mm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At least 14mm and get someone to guide push it through as you gently pull it to minimise any risk of chafing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local