Pulling Replacement Water Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings and Salutations

Approx three years ago we had an extension built and the builder at the time put in situ pipework for a replacement water main. This went through to our cellar where the remainder has sat there coiled waiting for something to happen. The builder didn't come back to finish the work so has remained an unfinished project.

We are now lifting the floor in the room at the front of the house where the pipe needs to run however I have a couple of queries that I would welcome some input on:-

1) does the pipe have to be one continuous run from the front of the property to the rear?
2) does the pipe have to be anchored/clipped to the floor joists or can it just sit in the cold space under the floor?
3) does the pipe have to be in a conduit?
4) if the pipe work can be done in sections then this would be more manageable, do I need to put a stop cock at each join or is there a specific fitting?
5) when I bring the pipe up into the front garden how much do I need to leave above ground?

We don't envisage getting the main connected this year but we will be completing the work on the room that pipe will traverse and also the front garden area where the pipe will emerge into

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
I think they are supposed to buried to a certain depth to avoid freezing and come in from the outside to the stop cock.

Blup

I think they are supposed to buried to a certain depth to avoid freezing and come in from the outside to the stop cock.

Blup
As this is a terrace house then it has to go through the house, at the external points (front and back) then it will be dug into a trench however for the run under the room at the front and also into the cellar it can't be trenched.

I’d guess you would want to minimise joints to reduce chances of leaks and also insulate.

Blup

Sponsored Links
It has to be continuous from stoptap in street to internal stoptap. Under suspended floors it has to be insulated (I think the rubbery stuff rather than foamy) and ducted (110mm soil pipe will do, can lie on the ground). In theory the WB will want to inspect before connecting but will probably be happy with some photos if they can see each end of pipe. Coiled up at boundary needs to be enough to reach the stoptap - if you don't have one look at neighbours and must have a mechanical stopend, not that little plastic thing that's on the end of the coil of blue pipe when you buy it . Look on your water suppliers website, they usually have very clear details of what is required before they will connect.

Have decided to take the large coil of blue pipe that is sitting in the cellar and feed it through to the cold space under the front room floor and leave it coiled there instead. Wrapped in heavy plastic it can sit there rather than taking up space in an area I want to use.

Thanks to those who replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back