Pump for bath mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for an inexpensive, but quiet, pump for my bath with mixer tap, with thermal cartridge, and shower.

The hot and cold water for the bath comes from a loft tank.

Any suggestions?

Also where is the best place to install the pump, it is only needed for the bath with shower attached.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hello.

I recently installed a new mixer tap with shower attached.

Do you intend on keeping that bath shower mixer ?

Personally i would bin it,you dont want the pump running to fill your bath,fit standard bath taps/mixer and a thermostatic shower mixer valve with a suitable shower pump.

Or consider a a gravity fed,shower mixer with built in pump.Mira vigour is ok.

Yes pumps will create some noise,you can check the noise levels on the makers literature.:idea: Think you will need a plumber to install which ever shower pump you decide on.

Good luck,

Any suggestions on just pumps?

What should I be looking for? Like the power of the pump for instance.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking for an inexpensive, but quiet, pump...........

May as well have said "I'm looking for a unicorn" I'm afraid. Cheap pumps are invariably noisy and not very well made, leading to more frequent replacement (after all, quite a bit of that noise is being generated by friction, and friction causes wear, wear leads to failure). Stuart Turner Monsoon is definitely the way to go for a quiet and well-made one, but you'll have to dig a little deeper.

I'm looking at a Stuart Turner 2.0 Bar Twin Showermate Pump 46500.

Will I be able to use flexible hose from the bath pipes to the pump and then to the mixer taps?

Am I correct in thinking I will need to wire this up directly to the mains switch box?

What's the current flow rate out of your tap? I'll give you that the pump you've identified is relatively quiet, but it's not very powerful. Shower pumps are measured at their static head, so while it's theoretically capable of delivering 2.0 bar, that's at essentially zero flow. At 25 litres per minute flow rate, it's down to just 0.5 bar. It's also only rated for 30 minutes use at a time, then it needs a rest for 30 minutes to stop it overheating. The Monsoon will give you 1.25 bar at 25 litres per minute, more than double the Showermate, and is rated for continuous use. Just a couple of things to consider when selecting a pump.

You can't install a shower pump as you've suggested though, at least not if you want the warranty to be valid anyway. It needs to have its own dedicated supply from the loft tank for the cold, and a similarly dedicated supply taken from an air-free connection (usually a ST flange 27800) on the hot water cylinder.

And if I didn't care about the warranty?

It’s your money, property and time; so you can DIY the feck out of it and Destroy-It-Yourself!

We, on the other hand, have to install it properly and according to MI’s lest we get accusatory phonecalls from irate customers when they’ve called out a manufacturer’s engineer to a breakdown, under warranty, and the cause is deemed (as is usual practice) to be due to installation errors.

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead!

And if I didn't care about the warranty?
Its your property you can do what you like but also consider ignoring the manufactures installation instructions,starting with

"1.25 The plumbing installation must comply with the current water and building regulations. 1.26 The plumbing installation must be installed by a qualified person. 1.27 The electrical installation must be carried out in accordance with the current national electrical regulations. 1.28 The electrical installation must be installed by a qualified person".

Apart from the warranty there are safety implications,its your call :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back