Pump not spinning until pump bleed valve opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had my CH powerflushed a few days ago and on two occasions since then the pump has refused to start. You can hear it humming but it doesn't seem to be spinning. Opening the bleed valve directly above the pump and allowing a little air to bleed out causes a gurgle and the punp kicks in.

What's the problem? Just air in the system, or the pump on the way out, or the powerflush moved some gunk to the pump, or anything else?

System is about 15 yrs old, gravity fed from tank in loft. Also does DHW cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I should have said that after discovering the pump humming I switched off the heating (DHW was off) then bled the air out, then switched the heating back on and the pump started instantly. (I've also bled the rads with CH/DHW off, only a drop of air from 2 rads of the 12).

I should maybe also mention I've lived in the house for about 5 years and it's never happened until this powerflush. Maybe also relevant - I had a new actuator fitted the day before the powerflush to cure a problem where the hot water was heating all the time the CH was on.

The guy is coming back to have another go at getting one particular rad hotter, so I just want to be armed with as much info as possible so he can't pull the wool over me. It looks like you're both suggesting air in the system rather than a knackered pump tho?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I should have said that after discovering the pump humming I switched off the heating (DHW was off) then bled the air out, then switched the heating back on and the pump started instantly. (I've also bled the rads with CH/DHW off, only a drop of air from 2 rads of the 12).

I should maybe also mention I've lived in the house for about 5 years and it's never happened until this powerflush. Maybe also relevant - I had a new actuator fitted the day before the powerflush to cure a problem where the hot water was heating all the time the CH was on.

The guy is coming back to have another go at getting one particular rad hotter, so I just want to be armed with as much info as possible so he can't pull the wool over me. It looks like you're both suggesting air in the system rather than a knackered pump tho?

Yes, air in the pump will cause it to overheat and possibly burn out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back