Pump not working on Hotpoint WF740 - bad plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new Hotpoint WF740 washing machine installed about a year ago. No problems until now, when the other night the machine failed to drain, flashing up error F-05. We emptied it manually, and checked the pump, but there was nothing stuck in there. When I reconnected the drain hose to the plumbing under the sink, the pump worked for a little while, then stopped pumping out and just hummed. On another try, I disconnected the hose from the plumbing under the sink and the pump worked fine when it drained the water into a bucket.

When the machine was installed the plumber took off the u-bend which was attached to the pipe. The pipe was quite short so it now connects directly into the sink, with virtually now bend. My thought is that this is putting too much strain onto the pump to push the water upwards.

Please can you have a look at the picture of the plumbing and see whether we need to get an extended hose to create a u-bend in the hose, or if there is something else we should do?

The link is http://www.worldisround.com/articles/324953/photo1.html?

Click on the photo for a full-size version.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You only need the U bend bit when the hose goes into the top of a standpipe. I would recommend you make extra holes to route the hose into the cupboard at a higher point. This avoids the possibility of waste water from the sink entering the machine.
Have you checked for blockages in the sink trap assembly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back