Pump Over run !!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a boiler reqs pump over run but hasn't got anything already built in already ( eg, pcb with pump over run connections) then is there something that can be added to system to incorperate it?? does it connect through the time programmer to the pump? system is a conventional ( f and e tank) low water content boiler ( ferroili sigma 100 fan flued) on an S plan.

cheers (yes i am a corgi reg plumber but stumped with this one)

Sponsored Links
Try Baxi part 240340 pump overrun kit (not sure about availability now tho)
Optional extra available for the BBUs
Completely independent unit gives about 3mins overrun
Easy to wire in series with the the pump (comes with instructions)

surely if the boiler requires a pump overrun then the manufactuer would fit one

Cheers! Tell you what was happening!, the system was updated by a prevoius plumber (my sisters house, boiler changed just before they moved in) looks like a floor standing cast iron heat exchanger boiler was taken out and the ferroli low water content boiler fitted. Its got part copper pipe work, from new boiler to old steel pipes to most of the rads. The vent and feed pipes were both on the positive side of the pump which caused major pumping over to the expansion tank!! Also all rads were sludged up and varous leaks were found on old compression joints!
The prob they had was after the boiler had been on for a good hour it would make a loud banging and flushing sound, but not every time. After lots of invstigating and guessing, i came to conclusion that it was prob pumipng over and sludged up worse than i thought, so altered system for expansion and feed where on negative side of pump before boiler and manually flushed out system and they replaced every rad (12 off em!) along with a flushing agent and a system inhibitor added after.
Still it did the same, but they noticed it was everytime the boiler shut down after running for a least an hour, or when it had reached max temp.
On shut down, programer would close the valve with then closed the pump and boiler at the same time. After about 2 to 5 minutes when everything was still off (pump, boiler and zone valves shut) thats when you could hear the water boiling and rushing up the pipes and out of the open vent pipe into the tank!!!
Realised then that the boiler (copper low water content heat exch) was still heating water and boiling it !

Why hasn't this boiler got pump over facility already installed ??
Its fan flued and has a Pcb, so would expext it to????

Took me 2 weeks to find the problam out!!
Not the normal CH fault.

So thats why i needed to know if could add a pump over circuit fitted !!!

cheers!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
all copper fined heat exchangers have pump overruns , It may be a faulty pcb. Have a look at the wiring diagram

Cheers !!

Didn't have instructions at hand, tried to find of internet earlier before coming on here, so thanks everybody!

Should be able to sort now. Think it will be wired up wrong, dont think pump was wired into boiler.

Thanks..

Ps , what do you guys think of them Magnaclean's that clean up all the black sludge from the system water? Just fitted my first one on this sytem today and though quite impressive?

where on this diagram is pumpover run stat?
Thought that just showed the wiring of an external pump?

See diagram 40b on page 21 of the manual

The far right hand of the terminal strip has three connections.

PL is marked "from pump" this is the live supply to the pump. The two unmarked terminals next to it are Earth (YG), and Neutral (Blue)

Connect the pump supply to these terminals and the boiler PCB will have circuitry to keep the PL (Pump Live) on for a while after their boiler has switched off to keep the pump running. Sometimes this is done by a timer not a overun stat.

It's not strictly necessary to make the earth and neutral connections at these terminals if it's easier to pick them up elsewhere such as from a wiring centre with the motorised valves. Depends on the system wiring and layout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back