boiler pump over run problem - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a ferroli sigma 40-60 boiler in the kitchen. This has a pump over run circuit to the pump in the airing cupboard. The problem is that when the timer and the room thermostat call for heat this starts up the boiler BUT there is a fault on the boiler PCB in that it does not send the live signal to the pump to start up ...... result much banging and rumbling of pipework and boiler as the boiler is on but without water circulation!

Everything else is all fine it is just the pump circuit that is the problem.

Before i either get the boiler fixed or replaced, if i wire the pump to permanent live (with a manual switch) then the pump will be on all the time the manual switch is turned on.

The heating timer is to come on at 6pm and off at 9pm.

If i turn the pump on manually at 5pm and then the timer makes the boiler come on and off between 6pm and 9pm and then i turn the pump off manually at the switch at 10pm, is this ok in the short term?

I realise I need to make 100% sure i turn the pump on manually for this at the stated time.

The other alternative is to leave the pump switched on and running 24 hours. Would this be ok too? I realise this will probably shorten the pumps life though? would it? Again this is just a short term solution until i get the money to get it properly fixed.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that the correct solution is to get the boiler repaired.

In the meantime leaving the pump on 24/7 will not do any harm. Pumps can last 20-30 years in constant use.

If you want to fiddle about with a manual switch then thats no problem either but just a bother for you.

As most houses cost a minimum of £100K-£200K it always surprises me when home owners say they cannot afford to get their boiler repaired.

Tony

Agile said:
As most houses cost a minimum of £100K-£200K it always surprises me when home owners say they cannot afford to get their boiler repaired.
Not so surprising when you point your eyes at some words and read some reported facts, e.g.:

[url=http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debtstats.htm]www.creditaction.org.uk[/url] said:
A recent Bank of England survey estimated that nearly 6 million people felt they are currently struggling with their finances. A polling exercise for the Conservative “state of the nation report” suggests that the actual figure for the number of adults who claim to have had a serious debt problem is between 7 and 9 million.

The number of households struggling to repay their mortgage debt has risen to 7.7% according to the Bank of England.

During the third quarter of 2006, 34,626 mortgage possession actions were initiated by banks and other lenders. This is a 15% increase over the third quarter of 2005.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that the correct solution is to get the boiler repaired.
I agree, but in the real world wiring the pump into your boilers fused spur or a switch as you propose would provide a suitable intermediate solution at the expense of either a slightly bigger carbon footprint and a slightly larger electricity bill OR a pratt about turning the thing off and on all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back