Will Hive work with this?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have system, hot water and 2 manual switches (one upstairs one downstairs) on a timer.

The timer turns the boiler on or off which heats water in a cylinder. If heating is required in either upstairs or downstairs the manual switches can open valves to allow hot water to flow.
This is all a pumped system including the cylinder.

The manual switches don't in any way turn the boiler on or off.

Could Hive work with this system?

Attached is a photo of the timer and switches.

MH

Attachments

• IMG_20170313_184630450.jpg
    IMG_20170313_184630450.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
The two switches just open and close a valve. One for upstairs rads one for downstairs underfloor. The timer operates the boiler and turns on the pumps.
So unless the timer is in the on position nothing will heat or flow.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Would i be correct in saying when hive is configured as gravity system, the hot water (the timer in my case) would always turn on if any of the thermostat switches are switched to on position?

Thanks

You could configure the Hive for 'Gravity hot water' and use the hot water 'on' from the Hive to control the boiler and the pump, and the use the heating 'on' from the Hive to feed the two switches operating the motorised valves.

I am assuming here that there is no thermostatic control of the hot water system, and that when the existing timeswitch is 'on' that the boiler and pump run continually circulating water around the hot water cylinder. Is that correct?

Yes... kind of.
There's a thermostat on the boiler set to around 65c. Once that's reached it switches off the boiler, but the pumps do continue while the timer is on. So water will continue to flows around the system even though the boiler maybe off. The boiler will kick back in if temp drops.

Mh

I though it might be like that, because the boiler and pump would have to be kept running even when the hot water cylinder was hot, otherwise the radiators wouldn't heat up when they were switched on.

Although you can fit a Hive, IMHO you would be better off spending the money you are thinking of spending on the Hive, to update your system to have thermostatic control of the hot water cylinder and a boiler interlock system instead. As it stands, you are looking at connecting a high tech control device to an antiquated plumbing system that won't do it justice.

Thanks for your time.

You've been very helpful.

Mh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back