Is my 2 port valve broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a split system (upstairs/downstairs heating can be on independently from each other)

I’ve recently had a replacement boiler installed and at the same time a new remote thermostat/timer was installed upstairs. Three weeks after the work was finished, the upstairs system has stopped working.

Under the hot water tank are three Honeywell 2 port valves (upstairs, downstairs and hot water)

The upstairs 2 port valve is failing to open automatically (can be done manually). In addition to that, the boiler is not being instructed to switch on. I can get heating upstairs if I manually open the valve, but this is only if the boiler is on at the same time (due to heating hot water or downstairs)

The radio receiver for the remote thermostat/timer is powered up, and an additional light comes on when there is a demand for heat.

Is the 2 port broken, or does it suggest an electrical problem.
Would a broken 2 port stop the boiler from switching on?

Sponsored Links
It seems the head may need to be replaced on this particuliar valve,because you are able to energise the heating manually

It seems the head may need to be replaced on this particuliar valve,because you are able to energise the heating manually

Would this stop the boiler from switching on ?

I should have also mentioned that when I release the valve from the manual setting, it closes itself under power

sounds like the motor has failed in the actuator.
switch heating on the valve should have power to brown wire and the motor will open the valve and the lever will become lose with no resistance.

if you have power on the brown and no power on the orange and the lever still has restistance on it the motors failed in the actuator.

this will stop the boiler firing.
the motor don't return by electric current to the motor but by a spring pulling it back.

Sponsored Links
switch heating on the valve should have power to brown wire and the motor will open the valve and the lever will become lose with no resistance.

if you have power on the brown and no power on the orange and the lever still has restistance on it the motors failed in the actuator.

the motor don't return by electric current to the motor but by a spring pulling it back.

Thanks. I'll check this tonight.

I believe that you can get replacement actuators for these valves, so it could be an easy fix.

what make/model is it ?

It's a Honeywell, and it looks a bit like a V4043H. I'll take a closer look when I get home

heres the motor for the actuator.

main_product_HPHAVSYNC.jpg

Thanks. I'll check this tonight.

I believe that you can get replacement actuators for these valves, so it could be an easy fix.

Power on brown, and no power on orange.

Time for a new actuator

Cheers guys

did you take the lid off and check the motor hasn't failed.
cheaper for a motor than a complete actuator.

Sorry meant ordered a new motor.

Found one on fleabay for £6.50 (A universal one)

Certainly a lot cheaper than £155 that the boiler installation company wanted to charge me for a new valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back