pump overun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
past acs . was easier then i thought.
can i ask one thing. i understand how pump overun works on combi. however on a s or y plan with a boiler wired for pump overun how does the pump know when to stop running since there's no stat? does the pcb have some kind of clock timed for 5 mins to run pump after demand finished? thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, more often than not if it is non-adjustable it will be 6 mins.

Most decent new boilers can be individually set by the installer for the length of over run.

Vaillants come set at 5 mins, but I usually change this to 8-10 mins, as the HE's on these don't like heat :eek:

thanks. if it fails ie pump not switching off i guess its either the motor valve sticking or the timer chip gone (new pcb)??

however on a s or y plan with a boiler wired for pump overun how does the pump know when to stop running since there's no stat?
Does the pcb have some kind of clock timed for 5 mins to run pump after demand finished? thanks
On older boilers there's a separate stat
I don't think I've seen a timer chip on any boiler. All pcbs these days have clocks in the processor so they don't need one.
Though I expect they time the overrun, it's possible that some will also look at the temperature sensor, and keep the pump running if things are still hot.

Sponsored Links
so it would be new pcb on the newer boilers to replace clock on processor?

Older boilers usually had the pump overun stat built into the main boiler stat using the one phial.
Some Servowarm elites had a pump over run board as did some thorn olympics.
Apollos had a seperate disc that sensed temp within boiler casing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back