Pump runs continuously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my central heating pump has recently started making a noise. I keep removing the screw in the centre, to bleed it, sometimes I get air out, sometimes just a little water. I have also tried bleeding the radiators.

The thing is, I have noticed that the pump seems to be on continuously, even when the heating & hot water is off on the programmer. The room thermostat is also down low.

Is there a thermostat somewhere that should be turning the pump on & off. ie the one on the hot water tank or one in the boiler.

My boiler is a Glow Worm Fuelsaver F.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think that boiler has a pump over run thermostat that probably requires replacement

Corgi job really

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have some info on the boiler in the loft, I'll have look tomorrow.

;)

Sponsored Links
I have found the servicing & installation manual.

The Glow worm boiler has a combined thermostat & pump overrun, but there is also an overheat cut off. which has a wire going to the thermostat.

Could my problem be the overheat cut-off?

:rolleyes:

artis said:
I have found the servicing & installation manual.

The Glow worm boiler has a combined thermostat & pump overrun, but there is also an overheat cut off. which has a wire going to the thermostat.

Could my problem be the overheat cut-off?

:rolleyes:

does the boiler run? if not then the OH stat has tripped if it does then you need a new stat

Again corgi job

When you have no call for heat or hot water and the pump is staying on, does the boiler fire up occasionally too. If so it could be a sticking microswitch in the motorised valve.

namsag said:
When you have no call for heat or hot water and the pump is staying on, does the boiler fire up occasionally too. If so it could be a sticking microswitch in the motorised valve.

good one nams

The heating & hot water are ok. The boiler doesn't fire up when everything is off. it's just that the pump is on continuously, this could have been happening for ages, it's just that I now notice noise from the pump, which I suspect is air, I'll keep bleeding it to stop the noise, but from what I have found out here, I suspect the thermostat/pump overrun assembly.

As the thermostat doesn't have any gas fittings, only wires. Do I need to get a corgi registered person to fit it?

In theory yes because you have to take inner case off which has a seal on it,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back