pump siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to upgrade my current gravity HW/pumped heating system to fully pumped y plan. There is a pump currently fitted on the return from the rads, can i leave this where it is or is it best to fit it to the flow pipework prior to the 3 port valve?

Thanks!

Adrian

Sponsored Links
It is best to fit in the flow after the open vent and cold feed connections in the pipe work and before the 3 port valve. You will also need to fit an automatic by-pass to your system between the pump and 3 port valve.

Do you realise that you will probably change the position of the cold feed and open vent as yours are probably on the gravity circuit at present. Consider fitting a myson aerjec or similar for the vent/feed connections ;)

See your boiler instructions - you might not need the auto bypass, with a 3 port, depending...
Also your pump could stay in the return. If it's been there ages (like mine) there isn't much point moving it until you replace the boiler say.

Am altrenative to a 3 port could be an 2nd pump, on the hw circuit return.

I'm not meaning to start a fight :oops: here, but there are always options.

Yeah, i was planning to keep the boiler and the pump in situ for now, sounds like it should be ok then. I will replace the boiler at a later stage. I understand i need to fit a bypass valve but how can i tell whether i need to or not with the boiler i have. Its an old potterton kingfisher mark 2 CF60 13.2 kw. I still have manual too!

Sponsored Links
Agree with you chris a twin pump is another option, i was only thinking along the lines of op predicted plans, a case of 'tunnel vision' on my part :oops:

Energy efficiency regs now state that an auto by-pass must be fitted on all systems. I was just trying to bring his system up to current regs etc ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back