C plan to S / Y plan - which can/should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a C plan installation. Zone valve is on the return from the cylinder, the pump is next to the boiler in the kitchen.

I want to upgrade to a fully pumped system, BUT lots of my pipework is under a newly fitted bathroom and kitchen. My initial plan was to go for a Y plan. I was going to fit a 3 port valve just after the pump down near the boiler, and then remove the original 2 port valve on the cylinder return. I figured that this would allow me to pump both circuits before they entered the valve and become sperated into HW and CH, adjusting wiring to suit.

However, I've since read that motorised valves cannot be installed BEFORE the cylinder vent - which my initial design would be. Where my cylinder feed Tees into the top of the cylinder, the pipe continues upwards to the loft to vent over the header tank.

So now I'm in a situation where I need to keep the original 2 port valve on the cylinder return becuase its after the vent, and I'm thinking of adding a second 2 port valve on the CH circuit after the pump, effectively making what I understand to be an S system.

The only problem I can see with this is that the water will always be pumped along the exising 28mm 'gravity' pipes, through the cylinder and stop at the 2 port valve even if the HW isn't called for, which means I'll always get hot water regardless..? Furthermore, if this is the case whats to stop the water being pumped out the vent pipe..!!? (should have also mentioned that I cant replace the existing 28mm gravity pipes for 22mm becuase they're under a newly fitted kitchen and bathroom - fitted just before we moved in).

Can someone offer any advice?

Sponsored Links
To do this properly you need to disconnect the 2 22mm heating pipes at the boiler and use the 28mm pipes to the airing cupboard as your flow and returns.

Let the open vent t off the 28mm flow then make an 'H' shape in the pipework, about 150mm apart, so the cold fill tees into the 28mm flow and then the 28mm flow drops and then fit the pump next. After the pump fit an auto bypass valve to the return, then fit a 3 port valve, with flow to cylinder and flow to rads.

You will probably need some boards up upstairs tolocate the 22mm heating flow and returns to connect to.

Bring th heating return back to th airing cupboard and common T it to the 28mm return with the HW return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back